Ergonomic Office Furniture | Why does correct seating matter?
We spend 40 hours per week in work. For a lot of us, that is 40 hours of sitting down and staring at a computer screen. By having incorrect seating this can cause poor posture. Poor posture can then cause physical problems, affecting your health and wellbeing. The 5 most common health issues caused by poor posture are:
- back, neck and shoulder pain,
- poor blood circulation,
- increased body fat and weight gain,
- poor brain health, increased tiredness and decreased concentration,
- digestive problems.
By using an ergonomic office chair correctly, you will be less at risk of these health issues. A good ergonomic chair will be adjustable, allowing you to adjust the chair to fit your body. There are 10 ergonomic chair features to improve your health and wellbeing:
- Seat height – the perfect seat height will allow you to place your feet flat on the floor. With most desks being a fixed height, it is important to have a chair with an adjustable height.
- Seat width and depth – you should have between 2 and 4 inches between the edge of your seat and the back of your knees.
- Seat tilt – allowing correct positioning of the pelvis.
- Backrest lumbar support – lower back support for the nature S shape of the spine which can prevent bad posture and reduce stress on the spine and pelvis.
- Backrest recline – this allows you to position the backrest to best support your natural spine position. Using this allows you to relieve stress on your upper body, spinal disks and muscles.
- Swivel – improves your movement without putting unnecessary strain on your body.
- Armrests – removes tension in the upper body and allows you to relax your shoulders.
- Headrest – supports the back of your head and upper neck, reducing tension in your shoulders and upper torso.
- Materials – the material should be comfortable and breathable.
- Wheels – depending on your floor surface: use soft rubber wheels on a hard surface and hard wheels on a carpeted surface to help you navigate better.
At Innov8, we offer solutions for both commercial and home use. We offer a range ergonomic chairs to improve your productivity, health and wellbeing.